30 October 2010

Week 10: Baby is the size of...

... a hot dog. Well, not really. This week my baby is supposed to be the size of a prune... err, excuse me, dried plum.* But in my travels through cyberspace this past week, I happened across an image of a baby in a hot dog costume.** I know that comparing my new inhabitant's size to that of widely accessible food products is supposed to help me understand how its growth is progressing, but somehow the notion of a baby slathered in ketchup and mustard, cradled in a toasted bun just seems wrong. As in Jonathan Swift's satiric yet "modest" proposal wrong.

At the same time, it's making me hungry (and the costume IS kind of cute, in a disturbing sort of way). Well, as hot dogs are off limits too, I guess I'll go make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead. Baby's bigger than a peanut by now, I think. So I should be safe.

Happy Halloween!


*Apparently prunes are undergoing an image makeover, in an attempt to broaden their consumer base beyond those of Advanced Constipated Age. So now they preferred to be called The Fruit Formerly Known As Prune.

**The picture above is not the picture I saw earlier this week, but for the life of me I cannot find it. I think the actual costume that struck my eye was made by Gymboree, but their website only shows it empty. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment