18 October 2010

Houston, we have a heartbeat!

Great first prenatal appointment this morning! I was excited because (besides the obvious) it would be the first time I'd get to celebrate the news with my gynecologist, now obstetrician. I'd last seen her about two months ago at a pre-conception appointment where she'd sent me for my CD3 testing and gave me a referral to an RE. So it was sweet to see her and come for a pregnancy visit instead! DH was a trooper and joined me.

And... everything looks great. The baby is measuring a day ahead of where I thought it was. Through my charting on Fertility Friend, I thought I was at 8w1d, with an estimated due date (EDD) of May 29, 2011. The ultrasound showed 8w2d, and so my doctor put my EDD at May 28. I was glad that she listened to me when I told her that my cycles are/were on the shorter side (26 days) and that it looked like I ovulated on CD12, so the EDD based on last menstrual period (LMP) would be off by a few days... that EDD would be June 1. I know it's all guess-work anyway, and the baby will come when it comes, but well, it was nice to see all my obsessive charting not go to waste, at least.

The wild thing was that, after we got to see this cute little bean, my doctor told us that there was another sac, but there wasn't a viable baby in it. She showed it to us, and we could see that there was a yolk, but nothing else. It was surreal. In an instant I went from being pleasantly startled to wistfully sad. Pleasantly startled that it was even possible that I could have had twins, and wistful that it wasn't meant to be. The doctor said that it's unlikely that the second sac would interfere with the development of the first, which is great, but I can't help but wish a little that they both made it, or that there was only one to begin with. A mother's protective instinct starts early, I guess.

DH says that the baby looks like a Gummy Bear. It does seem to have some teddy bear-ish qualities, minus the poofy ears. If you look at the ultrasound picture, it's facing straight on, head to the left, showing little arm and leg buds, and even possibly the "belly button" and umbilical cord swinging below. I never thought I'd think of what I might see in an ultrasound image as being cute, but I can't help thinking this kid looks pretty cuddly.

Yup, I guess this kid's got me wrapped around it's little nubs of fingers already. I'm totally caught. Hook, line, and sinker.


No comments:

Post a Comment