04 April 2011

My boobs will still have a job!

I called the pediatricians we're thinking of using this morning to ask them whether the medications I am taking will interfere with breastfeeding. When I'd asked my OB the other day, she told me I had to check with my pediatrician, which sent me into a tizzy, and even caused me to have a nightmare where the pediatrician told me there was no way I'd be able to breastfeed. But this morning I got good news, they didn't see any problem with it -- whew! AND, my cardiologist concurred; double whew!

Lopressor does pass into breastmilk, but at such low concentrations it shouldn't be an issue. Plus, after I give birth, my blood volume should go back to normal, so I probably won't be on the extra meds for too long anyway -- at least I hope so!

I've been looking forward to breastfeeding so much, it really killed me to think I might not even get the chance to try. Whew!

2 comments:

  1. A suggestion about breastfeeding/medications, I found that going to a lactation consultant was a great way to be informed about medicines and how they are transmitted. When I was breastfeeding I got sick and the first thing I heard was no breastfeeding and that simply was not true...the pedi and my doc said no but they lactation consultant shared various resources about meds I could take and in what dosage. It was such a lifesaver as my ds had never had formula and it was devastating to pump and dump. Good luck and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I've been told there are lactation consultants at the hospital so I will definitely take advantage of them being there... my one concern is that our pediatrician is not going to be there at the hospital (they don't have privileges) so I hope that the staff doctors don't try to tell me not to BF!

    ReplyDelete