14 February 2011

Valentine's Day (or, Another Trip to L&D)

First off, the end result is that baby and I are fine. I had an episode of a high blood pressure reading this afternoon, which prompted my OB to send me to the ER and to L&D for monitoring. BP is back within normal range now, but here's what went down:

I had been feeling weird all morning (palpitations that I was feeling in my throat and a little bit fuzzy headedness that didn't go away), which prompted me to go to CVS to test my bp. As I've probably mentioned before, I'm on meds for high blood pressure and test my bp every day, but never thought to bring my cuff with me to work (I will from now on!). At CVS my bp measured 152/101 and then 150/104, so I was a little freaked out. A friend of mine went with me, and as a control she did her bp (she is also pregnant and had just had her bp checked this morning), but hers came out fine, so while I was skeptical of the CVS monitor I still was feeling out of sorts so I called my OB.

OB told me to call my cardiologist, who I already see for the chronic hypertension. Receptionist there gave me an appointment for tomorrow afternoon (Tuesday). Didn't really help address the immediate concerns, so I called my OB office back and they told me to come in to check my bp.

My bp at the OB was 124/86, but since I wasn't feeling any better overall my doc sent me to the hospital. Told me to go first to the ER to get an EKG to check my heart and the palpitations, then to go on to L&D to make sure baby was okay.

Luckily everything checked out fine - EKG, blood count, sugar level, no protein in urine, baby did fine on the monitor (but was squirming around so much the nurse had to reposition the belt several times!) and ultrasound too.

Verdict? Stress? Fatigue? I'm not sure. I still don't feel 100%, but am at least gladly reassured that the baby's not in harm's way. I will go to the cardiologist tomorrow and see what he says about the persistent discomfort from the palpitations and heart pounding; it's keeping me awake at night and it's hard to find a comfortable position while sitting either. Seems silly to have had to go through 7 hours of monitoring and tests, but I'm glad to find out that everything is okay.

Now, I'm just pooped!

No comments:

Post a Comment