07 February 2011

My trip to L&D yesterday

I called my OB's office yesterday morning and spoke with the Doc on call. Told her my symptom, and that I wasn't sure if this was something to be concerned about, and was surprised that she told me to go get checked out, "to be on the safe side." My cramps are definitely a potential symptom of pre-term labor, though they can be attributed to other issues.

So, DH and I made a visit to our hospital's Perinatal Assessment & Treatment (PET) Unit (aka the triage or intake section of the Labor & Delivery/Maternity Ward) yesterday afternoon. They strapped me to a fetal monitor, and another one that detected contractions. Heartbeats and uterus were observed for about an hour, and luckily nothing of concern was found; baby's heart rate was comfortably variable, averaging about 158 bpm, and I wasn't anywhere near contracting. Cervical check showed that my cervix is high and thick and shut up like Fort Knox (or should I say "like a medieval fortress," to go along with the AMA theme, LOL?).

Then what's with all these cramps, you say? Well, the resident said it was most likely round ligament pain, or else it could be my fibroids acting up. I'd rather it be RLP, but I do go for a growth ultrasound tomorrow morning, so that should help determine whether my fibroids are behaving themselves.

The resident discharged me, telling me that pretty much, all looks normal, and I can take Tylenol to relieve the pain, but to come back if the symptoms persist or worsen, or if I don't feel the baby move. I felt the baby move a bit last night, but s/he's been quiet today so I'm trying not to get anxious, as the cramps haven't really let up... and of course I forgot to bring my Tylenol with me to work. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment