06 February 2011

Thumpdate

So, I saw my cardiologist (Dr. F) on Friday, and he said the likely culprit of my heartbeat variations is just that my heart is working harder to get all the extra blood flowing... on the whole, a fairly normal occurrence during pregnancy. Well that's good! My blood pressure was a bit elevated when the nurse checked it, 140/80, and my readings at home have been in the mid 120s/mid 80s, with occasional 130s, and the rare 140 or 90... so, Dr. F decided to increase my medication dosage. I had been on the lowest dose of methyldopa (Aldomet), 250mg, 3 times a day (at least I think that's the lowest dose). Now I'll take 500 mg twice a day, and 250 mg at night, in the hopes that lowering my BP will help calm the pounding a bit.

Dr. F also hooked me up with a Holter monitor to get a 24-hour reading on my heart beats. I think I gave him some "good" material. I had several "episodes" of thumping irregular beats throughout the afternoon and evening, so hopefully he will be able to see if there's anything else amiss -- which I sincerely hope not! I started the new dosage of medication, but it probably takes a few days to kick in, but I certainly hope that helps!

No comments:

Post a Comment