26 March 2011

Operation Keep Baby Cookin' - Part IV

So now we're up to the 30-week OB appointment, which was last Friday, March 18. This time I saw Dr. Y. All the routine stuff was done, along with the manual check of my cervix. Dr. Y said that it didn't look like anything had changed; I was still only dilated about 1 cm. Good!

As she was finishing up the exam, we discussed what I should look out for. One of the things I've been having trouble with is recognizing what is a contraction, and what is not. Sometimes my belly distorts in such a way that it seems as if the baby is doing yoga... particularly Downward Dog. The right side of my belly sticks out strangely and it's really hard, while the rest of my belly slopes up to it. Dr. Y said to check and see if my whole uterus was tight, or just that area. If the rest is soft, then it's most likely the baby, not a contraction. Seems this is baby's attempt at yoga then, as the rest of my uterus seems pretty soft.

But wouldn't you know it, as soon as I start getting up off of the table, I start to feel some tightness and pressure. I mention this to Dr. Y, and she notices that my belly is hard all over. So she says, let's put you on the monitor to see what's going on. I go down the hall to another exam room, get strapped in, and begin to spend some quality time with some trashy gossip magazines, catching up on princess-to-be Kate Middleton's wedding planning, and the meteoric downfall of Mr. Winning himself, psychostar Charlie Sheen.

About 20 minutes into it, Dr. Y comes in and notices that baby is sleeping, so she goes and gets me a lollipop, hoping the sugar will wake him or her up. Bingo, baby is up and running shortly after.

End result: not a single contraction (yay!) and I got to witness baby doing Downward Dog too, and saw that the machine didn't react, so at least I learned that that bit of acrobatics is all baby, all the time.

Finally, time to leave the OB office (it's a good thing I'm already on leave from work, or else I'd be racking up tons of sick time)! But before I am completely free to go, I get some more news.

I failed the 1-hour glucose screening test.

And it's not like I just missed the cutoff. Apparently I epic failed it. Just ducky.

Now I get to take the 3-hour.

What next???


No comments:

Post a Comment