05 March 2011

Cardiologist update #1

I had a follow-up appointment with my cardiologist scheduled for yesterday, which was a good thing because I have still been feeling the throbbing in my head and neck (and sometimes my sinuses) at times... usually when I am trying to fall asleep, or driving, or reading at my desk (chin down). What I've noticed, is that while my blood pressure is fine, my heart rate is elevated. The past week or so my heart rate hasn't been below 100 (whenever I've used my home BP monitor), and has sometimes been as high as 120-130 bpm.

I told all this to Dr. F. and he called my OB (Dr. K.) to discuss possibly adding another medication. Luckily he came back from the discussion saying they both agreed that medication wasn't yet the way to go. Instead I will go back on Thursday for an echocardiogram and another stint with the Holter monitor. He also drew blood yesterday to check my thyroid levels, which haven't been checked since just after I got pregnant.

Meanwhile I am experimenting with ways to mitigate the throbbing when going to sleep. Last night I sat in the recliner for a while before going to bed, and although I was a bit uncomfortable and felt some throbbing while sitting there, I didn't feel any throbbing once I got into bed. Seems the throbbing is the strongest when I am lying down because my heart isn't fighting gravity to pump blood everywhere, so maybe sitting with my feet up for a while helped my heart get prepped for sleep. We'll see if that works tonight too.

Best thing is, neither doctor sees this as a medical problem per se, it's not hurting me or the baby, primarily just a comfort one. It would be great if there was a solution (preferably one that didn't require more meds), but hey, if all it is is just another uncomfortable pregnancy symptom, then no biggie, I can deal.

Next up: Growth ultrasound (more baby pics?!?) on Tuesday, 28-week OB appointment on Wednesday, and the echocardiogram on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment