30 September 2010

Aunt Wars (or, the SciFi post)

I spilled the news to my sisters last weekend. They'd insisted (long ago) that whenever I got pregnant I had to tell them both at the same time. So, considering they are currently living on opposite sides of the country, the best I could do was see one in person and get the other on speakerphone. I'm surprised that I managed to pull it off without either getting a clue ahead of time. I haz mad skillz. :D

But within minutes of having absorbed the news (that is, after the screaming and general pandemonium died down - my ear drums are still recovering), they were already at it, competing with each other over who would be "The Coolest Aunt." It was fun to witness. And the sister I was visiting last weekend became instantly over-protective of me, getting chairs for me while waiting in line, holding me back from crossing the street before she checked for oncoming cars. While unnecessary (I've got a while before I start showing, I think, and I haven't been feeling too tired... yet), it was truly heartwarming to see my baby sister looking out for me.

As for the Aunt Wars, I say, bring 'em on. I figure I won't have to worry about spoiling this kid* (I think there's only one in here)... what with six aunts and seven grandparents (and don't get me started trying to count the numerous "greats"-- -aunts, -uncles, and -grandparents, etc.), they'll all probably have it covered.

But I did ask that they hold off a little bit before they start going crazy. Let's make sure this little one is in there first! 8-week ultrasound is still two and a half weeks away (October 18). Can't wait!

*At this point, though (5w4d), this "kid" supposedly looks more like a sentient jelly fish, so if my sisters want to war over this wee alien life form inside of me, more power to them. Call me Ripley.

No comments:

Post a Comment