14 December 2010

Busted!

All went well at my doctor's appointments yesterday... except for one thing. I got busted by my OB for eating too much "fast food." This is ironic, since in my pre-pregnancy days, I was known, especially at work, for my uber-nutritious lunches. Well, with the advent of my all-day morning sickness (not so much nausea as overall malaise, headaches and indigestion), much of my interest in healthy food disappeared. This interest in yogurt, tomatoes, baby carrots, apples and salads was replaced by cravings for pizza, EggMcMuffins and Whoppers w/cheese. Mind you, I don't eat these "horrible" things at every meal, but a quick check at my debit card statements show that I've been averaging trips to Burger King or McDonald's twice a week. Before getting pregnant, it was more like twice a month, if that.

But to be perfectly honest, it's worse than that. DH and I often eat pizza for dinner. I've been so tired when I get home from work, and usually ravenous, such that I haven't had patience for cooking, so popping a frozen pizza in the oven, or picking up something on the way home was the easiest (read: lazy) thing to do. And, to top it all off, it's the fatty, salty, greasy things that seem to please my pregnant digestive system the most.

The rub is that my bad eating habits were revealed when I asked the doctor why I might be getting headaches and feeling ill shortly after eating. My OB asked if I ate any fast food, so I confessed. I tried to tell her that the food giving me headaches isn't the EggMcMuffin or the Whopper. I can't really put my finger on which foods are the worst, but lately even eating plain oatmeal with a sprinkling of Craisins makes me feel a little headachy and ill later. Or apples. Or sweet things. It just seems like nothing sits right. Ugh.

Anyway, the doc is right. I shouldn't be eating that stuff, and, so far, I've quit cold turkey (LOL, it's only been one day; ask me again in a week). Maybe the effect of all the bad stuff is making everything difficult on my digestive system... who knows?

But otherwise, I got to hear the baby's heartbeat again (fleetingly though, as Dr. P started asking me questions while I was trying to listen), and everything seems okay. Had blood drawn to test my AFP levels (to detect neural tube defects), and saw my cardiologist later in the afternoon. All is well (won't get the test results back for a couple of weeks though).

So, dinner tonight: homemade chicken Caesar salad (with organic Caesar dressing). Maybe not the best choice, but an improvement, I hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment