12 December 2010

Birth plan conundrum

Tomorrow I go back to my OB for my 16-week appointment. Since it's almost time for me to register for birthing classes, one of the things I want to talk about with my doctor is birthing options. Seems so early to be thinking of these things, as I'm still getting used to the idea of being pregnant. But, I saw on the web yesterday that some classes may start up as soon as just after New Year's, so I shouldn't miss this chance to talk.

I think my big question for the doctor tomorrow is: does my having chronic hypertension preclude me from going through a vaginal (and possibly un-medicated) birth? I know there are risks of pre-eclampsia (and I have fibroids so there's also the risk of pre-term birth), but if these complications don't arise, is there any reason I can't try for a vaginal non-medicated birth?

Now, I'm not 100% saying I want a non-medicated birth, but for some reason the thought of having an epidural scares me more than the pain of childbirth (similarly, I was also more spooked by the idea of needing a cervical CVS than by either an abdominal CVS or amnio, so I am super glad I didn't have to go there). I don't have a fear of needles, per se, but something about having one stuck in my spine kind of freaks me out, despite the relief it is supposed to bring.

I have no idea how much pain tolerance I have. So on some level I feel challenged to see if I can take it, and due to my competitive nature, I can totally see myself psyching myself up to get through it as a personal rite of passage. Reminds me of the days when I was on the rowing team back in college. Some practices were brutal, when we pushed ourselves to our physical limits to see how fast and how hard we could pull on an oar. I'm sure it was nothing like the experience of childbirth, but it's my one marker for my own ability to willingly endure pain. And yes, I often referred to myself as a masochist during that time.

But, then, I'm not 19 anymore. Wow, it was THAT long ago... sheesh! I'm in nowhere near the shape I was back then. What am I thinking??

Anyway, I've been curious about the Bradley method, seems like an approach to a med-free childbirth that doesn't just teach you how to breath, but how to get your whole body (and partner) ready for the process of delivering a baby. I kind of wonder if going through Bradley training, which runs for 12 weeks, would help me get in better mental and physical shape such that my body would be better able to withstand the stress and maybe mitigate the need for intervention. Maybe the Bradley method itself isn't the answer, but now I'm a bit more motivated to see what I can do to prepare. Can prepping for childbirth be likened to training for a race, or endurance test? I'd like to get ready for it, if I can.

If there are any mothers out there reading this, I hope I don't sound hopelessly naive! Just trying to wrap my head around the unfathomable. It's kind of overwhelming, trying to sort out all the options and figuring out what will be right for me. And I know birth plans are just that, plans, and ones that may need to be revised (or scrapped outright) in the moment. At the same time, I'd feel better having one, so if options are available, I'll know what I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment