16 November 2010

Such a sweet sound

Got to listen to the baby's heartbeat at my 12-week OB appointment yesterday. Dr. K held the doppler on my abdomen for a good 15 seconds or so. Seemed like such a long time compared to the two or three beats we heard at the NT scan last week. Such an amazing sound, yet still so incomprehensible to me. Fascinating. I can see why people buy dopplers to listen to the heartbeat at home. I'm tempted to do it, but I don't think I will. Plus, DH would think I'm ridiculous. But my next appointment isn't for another four weeks, and I doubt I'll be able to feel the baby kick before then, so the next month will be a true test of patience.

My plan is to "out" myself publicly at Thanksgiving, but my mini bump may have other ideas. I'm hoping I can keep up the disguise at work for another week, but I'm noticing that my belly is pushing at the insides of even my baggiest sweaters. It's kind of mirage-like, depending on how I move it's "now you see it, now you don't." So maybe I will accessorize with a clipboard or files when I walk around the office over the next few days.

In other news:

1) I'm home sick from work today, having developed a sore throat over the weekend and feeling a bit run down today. I went to a wedding last weekend, staying overnight in NYC along with some of DH's family (FIL's goddaughter got married), and I think I overdid it. I usually crash at home by 6:30 pm and that's the time the ceremony began. Ate lots of good food, but probably too much of a random mix. And then the hotel bed was as hard as a rock. Ah well, I still had a blast!

2) Being home today serves another convenient purpose -- now I don't have to lug a big orange jug around with me at work all day. Yup, it's time to produce that 24-hour urine sample. Fun times. Just have to make sure DH doesn't think I got him a new drink to try (I have to store it in the refrigerator).

3) Got my flu shot yesterday. Had the sore throat before the shot, so I hope they don't compound one another. But so far I only feel a little bit of soreness where the needle went in (which I didn't feel at all).

And now, it's nap time.

No comments:

Post a Comment