26 January 2011

Snowy Day Update

Morning commute was horrible. Snow coming down fast, spent the whole time driving wondering what the devil I was doing trying to get to work (oh yeah, I work so I can get paid... ok that makes sense). Took twice as long to get there, and just as I'm taking off my coat and turning on my computer I get a text message from a co-worker saying, "We're closing up at noon. If you're not already here, don't bother coming in!" Great timing.

Turns out, this actually resulted in one of my more productive mornings of late. The last couple of weeks I have felt super sluggish and achy, and no amount of sleep seems to alleviate my fatigue. But, since DH will be going in for hernia surgery on Friday (something that needed to be taken care of before the baby gets here, and before I morph into a beached whale), and there is the threat of snow tomorrow as well, I realized I needed to get things in order and grab stuff to take home with me... just in case. Nothing like a hard deadline to get the adrenaline pumping.

So now I am home, feeling like a nap is coming on. Or maybe I'll just hang out on the recliner and watch the snow fall. Sounds about my speed today.

To back up a bit: I had my 22-week OB appointment yesterday; all is well. I asked about the possibility that I might be able to have a med-free birth experience, and whether it would make sense to take Bradley method childbirth classes (something I've been looking into, and which would start in a couple of weeks). Dr. K. said she thought the classes would be beneficial to take, though she couldn't guarantee that I could deliver med- or intervention-free. And for the first time, this pregnancy, I heard the phrase "higher risk" applied to my situation. Was wondering when that would happen. Given my age, and my high blood pressure, the fibroids, and the fact that I am being seen by high risk doctors in addition to my regular OB, I'd thought I'd have a scarlet letter H sewn in to all my maternity clothes long ago. I have to admit though, it's kind of nice that the doctors aren't making assumptions, and at least humoring me that, provided my blood pressure and the fibroids stay under control, I might be able to delivery without intervention.

That said, I'm not 100% convinced that I want to deliver med-free... I just don't really like the mechanics of getting an epidural, even though I hear they can make delivery a dream. All the same, I like having options, and I'll do what is necessary to get this baby safely from my womb to the world.

***

Ever had to wear braces? Or a retainer? Remember what it felt like maybe a day or two after getting them tightened... that dull ache that just doesn't go away (or disappears until it's time to put your teeth to some responsible use)? Well, it occurred to me that I'm sort of having a flashback to that sensation, only this time it's my pelvis that is being forcibly corrected. I am really achy "down there" sometimes, and it feels as if my pubic bone is being stretched apart. Fun stuff, let me tell ya. Doc says it's completely normal though, just another way my body is getting ready for Operation Get Baby Out. Well, no horseback or bicycle riding for me any time soon (snow and desire notwithstanding). I'm hobbled enough as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment